Serving Size: 1
Calories: 219 • Total Fat: 6g • Total Carbohydrate: 24g (Fiber: 7g • Sugars: 9g) • Protein: 21g • Vitamin C (144%) • Vitamin D (19%) • Vitamin E (39%) • Calcium (30%) • Iron: (25%)
Whole Grain • High Protein • Good Source of Fiber • Good for Immunity • Rich in Iron • Energy Booster
Oatmeal is a breakfast staple in many people’s mornings but since it’s high in carbs and low in protein it often causes blood sugar spikes leading to cravings and promoting fat storage. My version includes protein powder and egg whites to add a hefty dose of protein that will avoid those blood sugar spikes and also help you build lean muscle, increase wound healing, and keep you satisfied. Plus the mashed strawberries and low-fat cream cheese make this extra creamy and indulgent while also keeping you satisfied. I used Vega Protein + Greens Vanilla protein powder which is naturally sweetened so I didn’t any additional sweetener but feel free to add up to 2 tsp of sweetener of choice if you prefer.
Dysphagia Level 1 – Pureed, Level 2 – Ground/Mech Soft, Level 3 – Soft
This is a great recipe if you or a family member are on a modified dysphagia diet. It’s a great option specially for a pureed diet since it incorporates protein without the addition of meat or tofu.Since it uses oat bran instead of whole oats there is no need to blend the oatmeal in blender or food processor. Just be sure to add enough liquid to reach the desired consistency needed. You will need to blend and strain the strawberries to be sure they are smooth and free of seeds for Dysphagia 1 and 2 diets.
Strawberries ‘N cream Oatmeal
- 1/3 cup oat bran (or quick oats ground into a fine flour consistency)
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, divided
- 3 tbsp liquid egg whites
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 scoop plant based vanilla protein powder (I use Vega One + Greens)
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, mashed (blended and strained if using for a pureed diet)
- 1 tbsp light cream cheese, slightly melted
- Mix the oat bran, 1/2 cup milk, egg whites, vanilla extract, and cinnamon together in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 1 minute. Stir and microwave an additional 60-90 seconds.
- Add protein powder and remaining 1/4 cup of milk and stir until combined. *Add more milk until desired consistency is reached if it’s too thick*
- Top with mashed (or purred and strained) strawberries and melted cream cheese. Serve warm.