Serving Size: 1 cookie
Calories: 71 • Total Fat: 1g • Total Carbohydrate: 14g (Fiber: 1g • Sugar: 6g) • Protein: 2g
Low Calorie • Low Fat • Low Sugar • Gluten-Free Option
These chewy, ginger molasses cookies are the epitome of the holidays all rolled up into the perfect treat. I’m pretty sure if Christmas had a smell and a taste, these cookies would be it! Thanks to the hefty amount of fresh ginger and indulgent richness of blackstrap molasses, they take on the perfect chewy, soft texture without the heaping amounts of butter found in most gingerbread cookies. I love bringing these cookies to holiday parties or making a batch to indulge in while decorating the Christmas tree!
Chewy Gingerbread molasses cookies
Servings: 16 cookies
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup oat bran (or grind quick oats into a flour consistency)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp salted light butter, at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- cooking spray
- turbinado sugar for topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, brown sugar, and egg together. Add vanilla, grated ginger, and molasses and mix until combined.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, oat bran, baking powder, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir until combined. Be careful not to over mix.
- Using a cookie scoop or a spoon, scoop batter in 16 cookies on a liberally greased cookie sheet or silicone baking mat. Bake for 12 minutes and immediately remove from the oven.
- Sprinkle with raw turbinado (or cane) sugar if desired and allow to cool for 3-5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack until cookies are cooled completely.