Serving Size: about 1/3 cup
Calories: 157 • Total Fat: 6g • Total Carbohydrate: 23g (Fiber: 4g • Sugars: 6g) • Protein: 3g • Vitamin A (51%) • Vitamin C (116%) • Iron(6%) • Magnesium (7%)
Excellent Source of Grains • Rich in Good Fats • No Added Sugar • High Fiber • Gluten-Free • Vegan • Paleo • Good for Healthy Skin, Hair, Nails, Bones • Immunity Booster
Disclosure: I received free samples of Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a contest sponsored by Zespri Kiwifruit and am eligible to win prizes. I was not compensated for my time.”
I almost forgot how much I love kiwi until I had it this summer at a friend’s barbecue. She made this unbelievable salad with strawberries, spinach, and kiwi and then topped it with feta and a homemade honey-lime vinaigrette. It was so good. I have really talented friends.
So when Zespri Kiwifruit sent me free samples of their SunGold kiwis it was no surprise that a tropical salad came to mind. One with lots of veggies, healthy grains, and a hint of sweetness from the most beautiful kiwis I have ever seen.
Did you know kiwi is one of the healthiest and most convenient fruits out there? I had no idea just how nutritious these little tropical powerhouses were until I hopped over to the Zespri’s website and read their article on the 10 Reasons to Eat a Kiwifruit. Not only do they require no peeling (just cut them in half and scoop out with a spoon), they are also non-GMO, contain 3x more Vitamin C than an orange and each one is only 55 calories a pop! With those kinds of stats there’s a good chance I’ll be swapping my daily apple with a kiwi or two.
Or maybe I’ll just make a big batch of this Tropical Kiwi Quinoa Salad for lunch while I daydream about sitting under a cabana at the beach…….
Tropical kiwi quinoa Salad with apple-lime VINAIGRETTE
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa + 1 cup water
- 1 cup mango, diced
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 1 cup red cabbage, chopped
- 2 Zespri SunGold kiwis, diced, divided
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup shredded carrots
- 1.4 cup red onion, diced
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1.5. tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add quinoa and water to a small pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and cover until quinoa is tender and water is absorbed (about 10 minutes). Fluff with a fork and allow to cool completely.
- Once quinoa is cooled, add mango, avocado, cabbage, 1 diced kiwi, red pepper, carrots, onion, and parsley and stir until combined.
- Make dressing by mixing together olive oil, apple cider vinegar, lime juice, lime zest, salt, and pepper. Pour over quinoa and stir.
- Top with remaining diced kiwi and serve chilled.