Serving Size: 1
Calories: 108 • Total Fat: 2g • Total Carbohydrate: 19g (Fiber: 3g • Sugars: 10g) • Protein: 4g • Calcium (6%) • Iron (4%)
Low Calorie • Low Fat • 100% Whole Grain • Good Source of Fiber
This recipe is a excellent treat and a good source of complex carbohydrates. Serve it with some protein and fat such as eggs or turkey sausage to make it a balanced meal.
Dysphagia Level 1 – Pureed – cook according to recipe and put in a blender or food processor. Blend into smooth, adding liquid as needed.
Dysphagia Level 2 – Ground/Mech Soft – omit apples in batter. When serving, cut 1 doughnut in small pieces and allow to soak in milk for a few minutes to soften.
Dysphagia Level 3 – Soft – cook according to recipe
Baked apple pie doughnuts
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour (or more white whole wheat flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp apple pie spice*
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, unpacked
- 2 egg whites
- 1 apple, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup non-fat plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp non-fat milk
- 1 tbsp oil
For cinnamon-sugar coating
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
*Note: if you don’t have apple pie spice use 1 tbsp cinnamon + 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg, + 1/4 tsp ground ginger + 1/8 tsp allspice*
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray a doughnut pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine both flours, baking powder, baking soda, apple pie spice, and brown sugar in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine egg whites, apple, yogurt, applesauce, vanilla, milk, and oil. Add dry ingredients and mix until well incorporated.
- Spoon batter into doughnut pan, filling each cavity about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Combine cinnamon-sugar coating in a small bowl. When doughnuts are baked, remove from the oven and immediately coat in cinnamon-sugar while still warm. *This helps the cinnamon-sugar stick to the doughnuts*
- Serve warm.