Serving Size: 1 cookie (with chocolate chips)
Calories: 64 • Total Fat: 1g • Total Carbohydrate: 12g (Fiber: 1g • Sugars: 5g) • Protein: 2g
If made as traditional snickerdoodles without chocolate chips:
Calories: 55 • Total Fat: 0.5g • Total Carbohydrate: 11g (Fiber: 1g • Sugars: 4g) • Protein: 2g
Low Calorie • Low Fat • 100% Whole Grain • Low Sugar • Dairy-Free
These cookies are so soft and fluffy thanks to the cornstarch and make perfect dessert to round out your meal. Since they are mostly carbohydrates, enjoy them with a meal that is high in protein a moderate in fat.
Dysphagia Level 2 – Ground/Mech Soft – omit chocolate chips
Dysphagia Level 3 – Soft – bake and serve accoding to recipe
Chocolate chip snickerdoodles
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg (or flax egg made with 1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp water)
- 3 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp mini dark chocolate chips, optional
- 1 tbsp white sugar + 1 tsp cinnamon, for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and brown sugar in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl whisk egg, vanilla extract, and applesauce until combined.
- Pour wet into dry and mix until well incorporated. Stir in mini chocolate chips if using. Dough will be sticky.
- Chill dough in refrigerator for 10-15 minutes. *(This step is essential in order to roll the dough into balls to dip in cinnamon-sugar coating).
- Meanwhile, combine white sugar and remaining cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Using a small cookie scoop or spoon, scoop chilled dough, roll into balls and dip into cinnamon-sugar mixture individually. Place cookies on a silpat or greased cookie sheet and bake for 8 minutes. The cookies will look slightly underdone, but remove from oven and allow to cool on baking sheet for 3-5 minutes before moving to a wire rack.