Serving Size: 1 chicken breast, 1/2 cup salsa
Calories: 228 • Total Fat: 6g • Total Carbohydrate: 14g (Fiber: 3g • Sugars: 4g) • Protein: 27g • Vitamin A (222%) • Vitamin C (37%) • Niacin (64%) • Vitamin B6 (32%)
Good Balance of Protein, Fat, and Carbs • Rich in Good Fats • Dairy-Free • Low Sugar • Gluten Free • Promotes Healthy Hair, Skin, Eyes • Immunity Booster
It’s Recipe Redux time! This month’s challenge is to make a meal using only things you have in your pantry. I usually do one big shopping trip on the weekend so Fridays/Saturdays get to be pretty sparse in my fridge and cupboards. I almost always have chicken and some random vegetables on hand so if I can forgo the urge to stop at every take-out restaurant on the way home I usually end up making a big garbage bowl salad with whatever I have on hand.
This week, the sad avocado I bought at its perfect ripeness on Sunday never got used… I know, a tragedy! Since I couldn’t bare the thought of throwing it away I tossed it with some leftover sweet potato and tomatoes and made this divine salsa I ended up eating all in one sitting. #sorrynotsorry
I only had chicken, but it would be so good on top of fish or scrambled eggs! If you try it on anything else, be sure to write me in the comment section. I’d love to see what you come up with!
BBq Chicken with Sweet Potato Salsa
- 1 lb chicken breast (4 oz each)
- BBQ seasoning (buy or make your own with this recipe )
- 1/2 lb cubed sweet potato
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped cilantro
- 1/2 fresh avocado, cubed
- 1 lime, juiced
- Olive oil cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Lightly spray sweet potatoes with cooking spray and roast in the oven for 10 minutes.
- While potatoes are roasting, season chicken with BBQ seasoning and place in a baking dish.
- Turn the oven down to 350ºF. Add the chicken to the oven, stir the sweet potatoes and bake both until cooked through, about 20 minutes. *Keep an eye on the sweet potatoes. If they are done before the chicken, remove them from the oven and let the chicken finish cooking.*
- Toss the roasted sweet potatoes with the onion, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, and lime.
- Top the chicken with the salsa and an extra squeeze of lime juice if desired.
For more pantry staple recipes be sure to visit Recipe Redux in the link below!