Serving Size: about 1 cup
Calories: 179 • Total Fat: 3.3g • Total Carbohydrate: 15g (Fiber: 6g • Sugars: 0.6g) • Protein: 21g • Calcium (6%) • Iron (6%)
Well Balanced • Low Fat • High Fiber • High Protein • Gluten-Free
I am so excited to share this recipe with you! I have to give full credit to my mom for the original version of one of my all time favorite winter meals. As I sit here writing I can’t help but be transported to my childhood kitchen where the warm and subtle spicy aromas of this chili would fill our house in the winter. There was nothing more comforting than coming home from school and smelling this as it simmered away on the stove. Since I love this recipe so much but don’t always have the time to watch it as it cooks on the stove, I transformed it into a slow cooker recipe and it tastes almost just as great…because my mom’s version – made by her only – will always win first place.
SLOW COOKER White Chicken Chili
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15oz) can white northern beans, drained
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (4.5oz) cans diced mild green chilies, undrained
- 2.5 tsp ground cumin, more of less to taste
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, more or less to taste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Place the chicken in a large saucepan. Add enough water to cover and bring to a simmer. Cook until tender, about 15-20 minutes. When chicken is cooked through, discard the water, remove the chicken from the saucepan, shred it with a fork, and set aside.
- Using the same saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken, onion/garlic mixture, beans, chicken broth, green chilies, and spices to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours.