Serving Size: 1 slice (based on 4 servings* – see note)
Calories: 163 • Total Fat: 6g • Total Carbohydrate: 14g (Fiber: 3g • Sugars: 3g) • Protein: 14g • Vitamin A (145%) • Vitamin C (19%) • Vitamin D (8%) • Calcium (21%) • Folate (10%) • Iron (9%)
Excellent Balance of Protein, Carbs, Fat • Rich in Good Fats • • No Added Sugar • High Protein • Gluten-Free • Boosts Metabolism • Regulates Appetite • Good for Healthy Skin, Hair, Nails, Bones • Immunity Booster
This recipe an excellent balance of protein, healthy fats, and complex carbohydrates thanks to the sweet potatoes and black beans. I love making this on Sunday so I have breakfast ready for the whole week. It’s also a perfect recipe if you’re hosting a brunch since you can prepare it ahead of time, store it in the fridge, and bake it in the morning.
*Note: If you’re only eating one slice for breakfast (and nothing else) I suggest cutting it into 4 servings but if you are having it with something else like a side of Vanilla Mint Berry Fruit Salad or a piece of whole grain toast, cut it into 6 servings to make it a balanced meal.
Sweet Potato Black Bean Egg Casserole
- 3 eggs
- 5 egg whites
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 medium (120g) sweet potato, diced in very small pieces
- 1 medium (131g) roma tomato, diced
- 1 cup fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/3 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Beat eggs and egg whites together in a large bowl. Season with salt, pepper, and chili powder.
- In a non-stick skillet lightly coated with cooking spray add minced garlic, red pepper, and sweet potatoes. Sauté vegetables over medium heat until slightly tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add cooked vegetables, tomatoes, black beans, and spinach to a pie dish lightly coated with cooking spray. Top with eggs, stir, and sprinkle cheese on top.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Allow to cool for 3-5 minutes and top with chopped cilantro.
- Cut into 4 or 6 equal sized servings. Serve with hot sauce if desired.