Serving Size: 1
Calories: 204 • Total Fat: 8g • Total Carbohydrate: 20g (Fiber: 13g • Sugars: 7g) • Protein: 13g • (Vitamin C: 78% • Vitamin D: 13% • Vitamin E: 26% • Calcium: 34% • Iron: 16% • Magnesium: 24% • Manganese: 15% )
Excellent Balance of Protein, Carbs, Fat • Rich in Omega 3’s and Healthy Fats • High Fiber • No Added Sugar • High Protein • Vegan Option • Gluten-Free
Chia seeds have been a part of Aztec, Mayan, and Incan diets for centuries and are considered one of the world’s oldest sources of nutrition. Not only are they full of antioxidants but they’re a great source of omega 3 fatty acids, complete protein, fiber, calcium and several vitamins and minerals. My favorite way to enjoy these little seeds of goodness right now is in pudding form. And of course I’m a big fan of a make-ahead breakfasts or pre-made snacks so this recipe has become a staple in my routine the past couple weeks. Feel free to switch it up with your favorite fruit or other toppings and omit the chocolate if you want a plain version. To make it vegan replace the Greek yogurt with an additional 1/2 cup of almond milk or other unsweetened non-dairy milk of choice. The recipe makes 2 servings so split the pudding in half and keep the other half in the fridge for a snack or breakfast the next day.
Chocolate Strawberry chia seed parfait
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or other milk of choice)
- 1/2 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt (or 1/2 cup non-dairy milk for vegan option)
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, diced (or other fruit of choice)
- stevia or other natural sweetener, to taste
- Combine all ingredients, except strawberries, in a mason jar or glass bowl with a lid. Stir until combined and place in the fridge overnight (or at least 1 hour until liquid is absorbed and seeds have enlarged).
- Divide the pudding into 2 servings and add the stevia to taste. Fill each bowl with 1 serving of pudding and top with sliced strawberries. Dust with some melted dark chocolate or extra cocoa powder if desired.