Serving Size: 1
Calories: 187 • Total Fat: 7g • Total Carbohydrate: 21g (Fiber: 4g • Sugars: 4g) • Protein: 11g • (Vitamin A: 55% • Vitamin C: 14% • Vitamin D: 10% • Folate: 7% • Iron: 7% • Riboflavin: 11%)
Good Balance of Protein, Carbs, Fat • Rich in Healthy Fats • Dairy-Free • No Added Sugars • Gluten-Free Option • Good for Healthy Eyes and Skin • Immunity Booster
This green goddess pesto spread is so easy to make and so versatile I have a hard time not eating it straight out of the jar! Most pesto recipes use oil, cheese, and nuts which add loads of calories and saturated fat, transforming even the healthiest of chicken dishes into an artery-clogging disaster. My secret ingredient: frozen peas! Not only are peas a nutritional powerhouse, but when thawed and blended with avocado they give this pesto the most amazing creaminess without the added fat of nuts and cheese.
The recipe below makes 2 cups of pesto so use 2 tbsp for the toast and store the rest in a jar in the fridge for up to 10 days. I love making a big batch and using it to top grilled chicken or mix in with canned tuna or some whole wheat pasta for a quick and healthy meal. This toast is one of my favorite breakfast recipes and also makes a great mid-morning or afternoon snack to keep your blood sugar stable and boost your metabolism throughout the day!
Green Goddess Toast with an egg
Servings: 1 piece of toast + 2 tbsp pesto + 1 egg
- 2 cups chopped kale, ribs and stems removed
- 1 cup frozen peas (thawed)
- 1/4 avocado, mashed
- 8-10 basil leaves (plus more for garnish if desired)
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- For the pesto: Put the first seven ingredients (kale – black pepper) in a food processor and pulse until combined. With the setting on low, stream in the water and olive oil until desired consistency is reached. Set aside.
- To fry egg, spray a non-stick pan with cooking spray and heat pan over high heat. Break egg into pan, reduce heat to low-medium and cook until whites are set and yolk begins to thicken but not harden (about 4-5 minutes).
- To assemble, spread 2 tbsp of pesto (store leftovers in the fridge) onto toast and top with egg.
- Sprinkle with freshly chopped basil or hot sauce if desired.