Serving Size: 1
Calories: 129 • Total Fat: 7g • Total Carbohydrate: 12g (Fiber: 2g • Sugars: 7g) • Protein: 8g
Excellent Balance of Protein, Carbs, Fat • Gluten-Free • Refined Sugar Free • Vegan
These bars are the perfect on-the-go snack anytime of the day. And the best part is the are made with all natural ingredients, low in sugar, and cost way less than the hundreds of protein bars on the market these days. Packed with healthy fats, all natural plant-based protein, and low in calories they provide the perfect balance of nutrients while still indulging your sweet tooth. They keep best in the freezer and thawed for 5-10 minutes before eating, or throw one in your bag before you leave in the morning and it will be ready for a mid-morning snack.
Salted CHocolate Hazelnut protein bars
- 2/3 cup raw, unsalted hazelnuts (+ more for topping)
- 1 cup oat bran (or old fashioned oats ground into flour)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2.5 scoops plant-based vanilla protein power (I use Vega One + Greens)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1.5 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tbsp almond butter, or other nut butter
- 1/4 tsp sea salt, for topping
- 1/3 dark chocolate chips, melted for topping (optional)
- Put the first 9 ingredients (hazelnuts – nut butter) in a food processor and pulse until a dough forms. The dough will be slightly thick and should be sticky, but if it’s too thick add more milk 1 tbsp at a time as needed.
- Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper and add the dough. Using your hands or a metal spatula, push the dough into the pan until it forms an even layer.
- Top with chopped hazelnuts, sprinkle with sea salt, and drizzle with melted chocolate if desired.
- Put the pan in the freezer until the dough is set, about 30 minutes.
- Take it out of the freezer and lift it from the pan using the sides of the parchment paper. Cut into 10 bars (first cut the dough in 1/2 width-wise then make four vertical cuts to form 10 bars).
- The bars are best stored in a covered container in the freezer and thawed for 5-10 minutes when you’re ready to eat.