Serving Size: 1 muffin
Calories: 65 • Total Fat: 2.5g • Total Carbohydrate: 5g (Fiber: 1g • Sugars: 1g) • Protein: 6g (Vitamin A: 4% • Iron: 4% • Phosphorus: 8% • Riboflavin: 14%)
Low Calorie • Perfectly Balanced • Gluten-Free • Good Source of Protein • Metabolism Booster • Promotes Healthy Bones
These muffins are an excellent balance of protein, fat, and carbohydrates. I love making a double batch in the beginning of the week and grabbing 2-3 in the morning for a quick on-the-go breakfast or mid-morning snack. Store them in the refrigerator and when you’re ready to eat a few reheat them in the microwave for 20-30 seconds.
Make-Ahead Italian Quinoa Egg Muffins
- 1/4 cup dry quinoa
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 eggs
- 6 egg whites
- 2 tbsp fresh basil
- salt and pepper
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Add quinoa and water to a pot and cook according to package instructions.
- Beat eggs in a bowl with tomatoes, cheese, basil, salt, and pepper. Add cooked quinoa and stir until combined.
- Spray a 12-cup muffin tin liberally with cooking spray (be sure to coat each cavity well to avoid muffins sticking). Fill 8 cavities about 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve warm or store in the refrigerator and reheat in the microwave for 20-30 seconds.