Serving Size: 1 slice
Calories: 100 • Total Fat: 3g • Total Carbohydrate: 18g (Fiber: 2g • Sugars: 6g) • Protein: 3g • Calcium: (6%) • Iron (8%) • Manganese (16%)
Low Calorie • Low Fat • Low Sugar • Good Source of Fiber • 100% Whole Grain • Dairy-Free Option • Gluten-Free Option
Being that fresh cranberry sauce is one of my favorite sides during Thanksgiving (my mom makes a killer cranberry-orange sauce that I crave all year long – recipe to come soon!)), I wanted to find a way to keep the bright and tart flavors of cranberries alive throughout the entire holiday season. And since everything with gingerbread spice just screams coziness and comfort during the holidays it only made sense to put them together. Not only will this loaf make you want to cuddle up in front of the fire with a big ‘ol slice and a big ‘ol cup of joe, it will also pack your body with nutrients thanks to the natural antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties in the fresh cranberries, ginger, and molasses. Subbing half the oil/butter for unsweetened applesauce and using molasses in place of some of the sugar helps keeps the calories, fat, and added sugar down while still keeping each slice moist and flavorful. Since it’s mostly carbohydrates, enjoy a slice with a meal mostly composed of protein and some fat to keep your blood sugar stable or simple enjoy it on it’s own as a healthy indulgence!
Cranberry Gingerbread Spice Loaf
Servings: 14 slices
- 1.25 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup oat bran (or rolled oats ground into flour consistency)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp light butter, softened
- 1.5 tbsp oil
- 1/3 cup non-fat milk + 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, grated (optional)
- 3/4 cup fresh cranberries, halved
*Gluten-Free Option: sub gluten-free flour blend and use gluten-free rolled oats/oat bran
*Dairy-Free Option: use non-dairy milk of choice and non-dairy butter or sub extra oil in place of butter
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9″x5″ loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Combine milk and vinegar in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add flour, oat bran, brown sugar, white sugar, baking powder, baking soda, ground ginger, cinnamon, allspice, and salt and whisk until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine butter, oil, milk, egg, vanilla, molasses, applesauce, and fresh ginger and whisk until combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and whisk until just barely combined. Fold in cranberries.
- Transfer dough to prepared loaf pan and bake for 35 minutes or until toothpick entered in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes and cut into 14 even slices.
- To store: allow bread to cool completely. Wrap cooled loaf in plastic wrap or aluminium foil and place in sealed container. Bread will keep for 4-5 days (if it lasts that long!).