Serving Size: 1 cup
Calories: 124 • Total Fat: 2g • Total Carbohydrate: 25g (Fiber: 5g • Sugars: 7g) • Protein: 4g • Vitamin A (337%) • Vitamin C (80%) • Manganese (25%)
Low Fat • High Fiber • Gluten-Free • Dairy-Free • Vegan • Good for Immunity • Promotes Healthy Skin and Eyes
There’s something magical that happens when you roast butternut squash in the oven. The high heat draws out the natural starches of this odd-shaped root vegetable creating the perfect caramelization around every cube. And the cinnamon, (oh my gosh!), load it on cause the more you add the sweeter it tastes! Toss it with two of my favorite trendy super foods, quinoa and kale, and you’ve got a decadent salad that is sure to please even the biggest leafy green haters. This salad is mostly carbohydrates so I suggest pairing it with a meal high in protein and a little fat to keep it balanced and to stabilize your blood sugar.
Quinoa Kale Salad with cinnamon roasted butternut squash
Servings: 4 (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup dry quinoa (3/4 cup cooked)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon, divided
- 3 cups kale, chopped
- 1 cup butternut squash, cubed
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp honey (may sub agave nectar or maple syrup)
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried coriander
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Lightly spray butternut squash with cooking spray and toss with 1/4 tsp cinnamon. Place in a roasting pan or baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Meanwhile, make quinoa. Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add dry quinoa + 1/4 tsp cinnamon, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until liquid is absorbed, about 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place kale in a large bowl. Massage the leaves with your fingers until they become tender and slightly soft.
- In a small bowl, make dressing by combining oil, vinegar, honey, thyme, and coriander.
- Add quinoa, squash, and dried cranberries to the kale and toss with dressing until evenly combined.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.