Serving Size: 1 pizza (with walnuts)
Calories: 171 • Total Fat: 6g • Total Carbohydrate: 23g (Fiber: 2g • Sugars: 8g) • Protein: 8g
Rich in Healthy Fats • Low Sugar • Whole Grain • Gluten-Free
This recipe is one of my favorites to make when I’m craving something sweet, decadent, and full of fall flavors. Not to mention how good it makes the house smell! Since it’s mostly carbohydrates and fat and has a little protein, enjoy half of it as dessert after a meal composed of lean protein and vegetables to keep it balanced and stabilize your blood sugar. It’s also great to have as breakfast if paired with a side of protein such as scrambled egg whites, Greek yogurt, or a protein shake.
CARAMELIZED Apple Dessert Pizza
Servings: 1 pizza
- 1 corn tortilla, 6 inches
- 1/4 cup non-fat, plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1/4 apple, thinly sliced (about 50g)
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 tbsp chopped walnuts
- cooking spray
- Make sauce by combining yogurt and pumpkin puree in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Lightly spray both sides of tortilla with cooking spray. In a small bowl, combine 1/2 tsp granulated sugar and 1/4 tsp cinnamon. Place tortilla in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture. Allow to toast for 5 minutes, then flip it over with spice side down. Toast for an additional 3-5 minutes or until sugar is caramelized. Flip it over again, remove from skillet, and place on a plate.
- In the same pan over medium-high heat, add sliced apples and water. Stir until apples begin to soften and water reduces by half. Then add walnuts and remaining 1/2 tsp sugar and 1/4 tsp cinnamon. Continue to stir until apples are completely softened and sugar has caramelized. *You made need to add more water 1 tsp at a time if apples aren’t cooked all the way*
- To assemble, spread yogurt sauce on tortilla and top with warm caramelized apples and walnuts.