Serving Size: 1 sandwich (with bread and cheese)
Calories: 240 • Total Fat: 4g • Total Carbohydrate: 33g (Fiber: 4g • Sugars: 3g) • Protein: 18g • Vitamin B-6 (10%) • Calcium (16%) • Niacin (19%) • Selenium (8%)
High Protein • Low Fat • No Added Sugar • Dairy-Free Option • Paleo Option • Gluten-Free Option • Increases Metabolism • Good for Healthy Bones
This recipe is high in carbs due to the bread. If you need to lower the carbs, use less bread for each sandwich or simply omit the bread all together and serve it on top of a serving of cooked quinoa or other grain.
Slow Cooker Chicken Philly SAndwiches
Servings: 4 sandwiches
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 clove garlic, minced (or sub 1 tsp garlic powder)
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and cut into long strips
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, cut into long strips
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 jar pepperchinis, drained
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 slices provolone cheese, reduced fat (optional)
- 4 100% whole-grain baguettes (or replace with lettuce wraps for GF or Paleo option)
- Place peppers, onion, and mushrooms in the bottom of a slow-cooker.
- Top with chicken, garlic, and pepperchinis (be sure to only add the pepperchinis and not the juice to decrease the sodium content). Then add broth and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours or high for 2-3 hours.
- After cooking time has ended, shred chicken with a fork.
- To serve, hollow out the top and bottom of each baguette. *Option: after bread has been hollowed out, toast in a 400ºF oven, cut side up, for 3-5 minutes.
- Add chicken to bread and then add peppers, onions, and mushrooms. Top with cheese if using. The cheese should melt from the heat of the chicken and peppers but if not, place sandwiches in the oven for about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.