Serving Size: 1 large pancake (divide in half if making small pancakes) without chocolate chips
Calories: 120 • Total Fat: 2g • Total Carbohydrate: 18g (Fiber: 4g • Sugars: 4g) • Protein: 6g • Vitamin D (2.2%) • Calcium (5.8%) • Iron (6.2%)
High Protein • High Fiber • Low Fat • Low Sugar • Dairy-Free
These pancakes are perfect as a treat for your sweet breakfast craving, They are mostly carbohydrates so serve them with some protein and fat such as eggs or turkey sausage to make a balanced meal.
Red Velvet Pancakes (dairy-free, dye-free)
Servings: 6 large pancakes, 12 small pancakes
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup beet juice (from boiled or canned beets)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp milk of choice
- cooking spray
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips, melted (optional)
- Combine both flours, cocoa powder and baking powder in a large bowl. Mix all remaining ingredients in a separate bowl EXCEPT egg whites. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and whisk until combined. Set aside.
- Whisk egg whites in a small bowl until fluffy. Gently fold egg whites into batter until barely combined. *Be careful not to over mix. This part is key to fluffy pancakes*
- Place a griddle over medium heat and lightly spray with cooking spray. Scoop pancake batter onto griddle and cook 2-3 minutes or until bubbles on top of pancakes start to pop. Flip and cook an additional 1-2 minutes or until cooked through.*Cooking times will vary depending on if you are making large or small pancakes.*
- Drizzle with melted chocolate, if desired, and serve warm.