Serving Size: 1 slice
Calories: 35 • Total Fat: 1.5g • Total Carbohydrate: 3g (Fiber: 1g • Sugars: 1g) • Protein: 2g • Vitamin A (5%) • Vitamin C (5%) • Calcium (5%)
Low Calorie • Low Fat • Low Carb • Low Sugar
This dish is composed of a small amount of protein, carbs, and fat. Pair it with a meal composed mostly of protein and fat and a small additional amount of carbs to make it balanced and stabilize your blood sugar.
Herb Crusted Caprese baked tomatoes
Servings: 6 (depending on the tomato size)
- 1 large tomato
- 1/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup part-skim shredded mozzarella
- fresh basil, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Slice tomato into thin, equally sized slices.
- Place dry oats in a small non-stick skillet and toast over medium heat until slightly browned (about 3 minutes). *Watch the oats carefully so they don’t burn.*
- Once cooled, place oats in food processor with dried basil and oregano and grind into a crumb-like texture.
- Top each tomato slice with oat mixture and cheese. Bake in oven for 7-8 minutes. Place under the broiler for an additional 3 minutes or until cheese lightly browns. Top with fresh basil if using and serve warm.