Serving Size: 1
Calories: 216 • Total Fat: 3g • Total Carbohydrate: 37g (Fiber: 8g • Sugars: 13g) • Protein: 15g (Calcium: 31% • Iron: 14%)
High Protein • High Fiber • Gluten-Free • Dairy Free • Good source of calcium
These waffles are high in carbohydrates and moderate in protein and fat. To decrease the carbs some you can use a no-calorie sweetener in place of the brown sugar or simply use less of the syrup. They have a good amount of protein in them, but add an additional small side of protein and a little fat to create a balanced meal and stabilize your blood sugar.
Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter S’mores Waffles
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour (or white whole wheat flour)
- 1/4 cup liquid egg whites
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 1/8 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp PB2 powdered peanut butter
- 1 tsp unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 1.5 tsp pure maple syrup
- 3 tsp water
- 1 tbsp marshmallow bits for topping (optional)
- Preheat classic waffle maker. (Note: if using a Belgian waffle maker, the waffles will be flat and not as fluffy).
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, vanilla, milk, vinegar and brown sugar.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until frothy.
- Fold egg whites into flour mixture. *This step is essential to fluffy waffles so be careful not to over mix.*
- Let batter sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Lightly coat waffle maker with cooking spray and add batter. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine all ingredients except marshmallows in a small bowl and stir. Top waffle with syrup and marshmallows.