Serving Size: 1 chicken breast
Calories: 203 • Total Fat: 7g • Total Carbohydrate: 5g (Fiber: 1g • Sugars: 1g) • Protein: 28g (Vitamin A: 9% • Calcium: 15% • Iron: 7%)
Low Calorie • Low-Carb • Low Sugar • High Protein • Promotes Healthy Skin and Eyes • Good Source of Calcium
This recipe is mostly protein and fat. Serve it with a side of complex carbohydrates such as brown rice, quinoa, or fruit to keep it balanced and stabilize your blood sugar.
Caprese baked chicken with balsamic reduction
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (four 4 oz pieces)
- 1 medium tomato, cut into 8 slices
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 8 slices*
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- freshly ground pepper (optional)
*Note: if you don’t have access to fresh mozzarella you can substitute 1/4 cup part-skim shredded mozzarella for the same nutritional value
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Season chicken with pepper if using. Bake for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- While chicken is cooking, make balsamic reduction. Pour balsamic vinegar into a non-stick pan over medium heat. Bring to a boil then turn down to medium-low heat and allow vinegar to simmer.
- Keep simmering, stirring occasionally, until vinegar is reduced by half (to a 1/4 of a cup) and is a syrup consistency. Remove from heat and set aside.
- When chicken is cooked, remove from the oven and top each chicken breast with 2 slices of mozzarella, 2 slices of tomato, and 2 basil leaves. Drizzle with balsamic reduction and serve.