Serving Size: 1 (without banana)
Calories: 239 • Total Fat: 6g • Total Carbohydrate: 32g (Fiber: 8g • Sugars: 5g) • Protein: 19g • Calcium (25%) • Iron (17%)
Whole Grain • High Protein • High Fiber • Rich in Omega 3’s • Gluten-Free Option • Good for Healthy Bones • Metabolism Booster • Good for Muscle Recovery
This recipe is high in carbohydrates due to the grains and is a good source of fat from the chia seeds. Add a small serving of protein such as more Greek yogurt or a scrambled/hard-boiled egg white to make it a balanced meal.
VANILLA CHAI PROATMEAL PORRIDGE
- 2 tbsp old-fashioned oats (gluten-free if needed)
- 2 tbsp raw buckwheat (or more oats)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 cup brewed chai tea + 1 tbsp water
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- natural no-calorie sweetener, such as stevia, to taste (optional)
- 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup non-fat, plain Greek yogurt
- Mix the oats, buckwheat, chia seeds, chai tea, and water together in a large bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and poke several holes in the top to allow the steam to escape. Microwave on high for 3 minutes. Allow to cool in microwave for 1 minute.
- Add vanilla, stevia, yogurt, and cinnamon and stir until combined. Add more water to reach desired consistency.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon if desired.
*Note: This porridge is also great as a grab n’ go breakfast in the morning. Simply make it the night before, let it sit overnight in the refrigerator and grab it on your way out the door.