Serving Size: 1 chicken breast and 1/2 cup salad
Calories: 240 • Total Fat: 5g • Total Carbohydrates: 23g (Fiber: 5g • Sugars: 2g) • Protein: 28g (Vitamin C: 42% • Vitamin A: 10% • Folate: 8% • Iron: 8%)
Rich in Good Fats • High Protein • High Fiber • Dairy-Free • Gluten-Free Option • Good for Immunity • Promotes Healthy Skin and Eyes
This recipe is an excellent balance of protein and carbohydrates to keep your blood sugar stable.
Grilled chicken with citrus beet & wheat berry salad
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (four 4 oz pieces)
- 1/2 cup wheat berries, raw (sub with quinoa, buckwheat, or millet for GF option)
- 1.25 cups water
- 1 beet, peeled
- 1 medium orange, juice and zest
- 1 medium lemon, juice and zest
- 2.5 tsp olive oil
- 2 cups mixed greens (spinach, collards, kale, romaine, arugula)
- 1 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh parlsey, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Add wheat berries and water to a pot. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cover until tender (about 30 minutes).
- Using a mandolin or very sharp knife, slice beet into thin slices and add to a large bowl.
- Add greens to a small skillet with 2 tbsp water over medium-high heat. Soften greens by cooking them for 2 minutes, stirring continuously. Remove from heat and add to beets and cooked wheat berries.
- Combine orange juice, lemon juice, mint, parsley and olive oil. Stir dressing and add to greens. Set aside.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and grill (using an outdoor grill or a grill pan) until cooked through.
- Top chicken with salad and garnish with orange and lemon zest.
*If you don’t have a grill the chicken can be baked in the oven at 350ºF for 20-25 minutes.