Serving Size: 1
Calories: 208 • Total Fat: 2g • Total Carbohydrate: 38g (Fiber: 7g • Sugars: 14g) • Protein: 12g (Calcium: 31% • Vitamin C: 13% • Iron: 11%)
High Protein • Low Fat • High Fiber • Gluten-Free • Dairy Free • Good Source of Calcium
These waffles are high in carbohydrates, moderate in protein, and low in fat. To decrease the carbs some you can use a no-calorie sweetener in place of the brown sugar or simply use less of the syrup. Add an additional half serving of protein and a little fat to create a balanced meal and stabilize your blood sugar.
Fluffy protein waffles with Berry Maple Compote
Servings: 1 waffle
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour (or while whole wheat flour)
- 1/4 cup liquid egg whites
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 1/8 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/4 cup frozen mixed berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries)
- 1.5 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp water
- sliced almonds (optional)
- Preheat classic waffle maker. (Note: if using a Belgian waffle maker, the waffles will be flat and not as fluffy).
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, vanilla, milk, vinegar and brown sugar.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until frothy.
- Gently fold egg whites into flour mixture. *This step is essential to fluffy waffles so be careful not to over mix.*
- Let batter sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Lightly grease waffle maker with cooking spray and add batter. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine berries and maple syrup in a small bowl. Microwave for 30-45 seconds until fruit softens.
- Transfer to a small saucepan over medium heat. Boil, stirring continuously, until liquid is reduced by half.
- Pour syrup over waffle, top with almonds if using, and serve warm.