Serving Size: 1 crostini
Calories: 56 • Total Fat: 2g • Total Carbohydrate: 9g (Fiber: 1g • Sugars: 0g) • Protein: 2g
Low Calorie • Low Fat • Good Source of Whole Grains
This appetizer is mostly carbohydrates due to the toasted bread. Enjoy one or two before a meal high in protein and moderate in fat.
Dysphagia Level 1 – Pureed – puree topping and serve with pureed protein for a meal
Dysphagia Level 2 – Ground/Mech Soft – omit bread and serve with pureed protein for a meal
Dysphagia Level 3 – Soft – omit bread and serve with soft, tender meat for a meal
Roasted Mushroom and Eggplant Crostini
- 1 cup eggplant, cubed with peel on
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp low sodium vegetable broth (or water)
- 2 tbsp yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 2 tbsp dry white wine
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp olive oil
- cooking spray
- salt and pepper
- parmesan cheese, grated for garnish (optional)
- 1 loaf whole grain demi baguette; cut into 10 pieces
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place cubed eggplant on a roasting pan. Lightly mist with cooking spray and season with salt and pepper. Roast in oven until tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature.
- While eggplant is cooling, use the same pan to toast the bread. Place slices on roasting pan and lightly spray with cooking spray. Toast in oven for 5-7 minutes, turning pieces over halfway through. *Be sure to keep an eye on them so they don’t burn!*
- Spray a small skillet with cooking spray and add vegetable broth (or water). When hot, add mushrooms, onion, and garlic and sauté. *Note: Add more water or broth as needed until mixture is tender.* Allow to cool to room temperature.
- When mushrooms and eggplant are cooled, place all ingredients in a food processor and roughly chop.
- Top each crostini with an even amount of the mixture. If serving right away, grate parmesan cheese over each piece and place under the broiler for 1 minute. Serve warm.
- This dish can also be made early by making the mixture ahead of time and storing it in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, toast the bread, top with eggplant and mushrooms, heat under broiler and serve.