Serving Size: 1 egg half filled with 1 tablespoon of filling
Calories: 25 • Total Fat: 0.5 • Total Carbohydrate: 1g (Fiber: 0.5g • Sugars: 0g) • Protein: 3g
Low Calorie • High Protein • Low Carb • Low Sugar • Low Fat • Gluten-Free • Dairy Free
This recipe is an excellent low-calorie and high protein addition to breakfast or enjoyed as an appetizer for a party. Enjoy a few alongside some oatmeal with nut butter for a well-rounded breakfast or before a dinner with complex carbohydrates, fat, and some additional protein.
Dysphagia Level 1 – Pureed – omit eggs, puree edamame filling adding extra olive oil if needed to make it very smooth. Serve as a topping on pureed protein.
Dysphagia Level 2 – Ground/Mech Soft – omit eggs, make filling according to recipe and serve as a topping on a chopped meat or other protein.
Dysphagia Level 3 – Soft – make recipe as is. Omit lemon zest garnish.
NOT SO DEVILED EGGS
- 12 hard boiled eggs; halved, yolks discarded (or saved for another use)
- 1 cup cooked edamame
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- juice from 1/2 medium lemon
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- zest from lemon for garnish, optional
- Peel and halve the hard-boiled eggs. Remove the yolks and either discard them or save them for later use.
- Place edamame, garlic, salt, pepper, rice vinegar, and lemon juice in a food processor. Process until smooth.
- Stream in olive oil and continue processing until desired consistency is reached.
- Fill each egg with 1 tablespoon of edamame mixture and top with lemon zest if desired.