Serving Size: 2.5 cups (with blue cheese topping)
Calories: 260 • Total Fat: 7g • Total Carbohydrate: 22g (Fiber: 8g • Sugars: 2g) • Protein: 27g • Vitamin A (30%) • Vitamin C (67%) • Folate (20%) • Iron (16%) • Manganese (17%)
Without blue cheese topping:
Calories: 201 • Total Fat: 2g • Total Carbohydrate: 22g (Fiber: 8g • Sugars: 2g) • Protein: 24g • Vitamin A (30%) • Vitamin C (67%) • Folate (20%) • Iron (16%) • Manganese (17%)
High Protein • Low Fat • High Fiber • Low Sugar • Dairy-Free • Gluten-Free • Good for Skin, Teeth, Bones, Eyes • Good for Immunity • Good source of Iron
This soup is so easy to make and is a perfect balance of protein, fat, and carbohydrates. If you don’t like blue cheese, simply sub it for another crumbled cheese such as feta or gorgonzola.
Dysphagia Level 1 – Pureed – puree chili in a blender and strain. Omit toppings.
Dysphagia Level 2 – Ground/Mech Soft – cook and serve according to recipe
Dysphagia Level 3 – Soft – cook and serve according to recipe
SLow cooker Buffalo chicken chili
- 1.5 lbs extra lean ground chicken breast (99% fat free)
- 1 can cannellini beans, low sodium
- 1.5 cups grated cauliflower (about 1/3 of a head)
- 3 whole carrots, sliced into thin rounds
- 4 celery stalks, cut into half-moons
- 1/3 yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes, low sodium
- 1 (4.5oz) can diced green chilies
- 2 tbsp white whole wheat flour (or gluten-free flour)
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1.5 tbsp ground cumin
- 3 tsp smoked paprika
- 3.75 cups + 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 6 tbsp hot sauce (more or less to taste) *see note
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese, for topping, divided in 8 one ounce servings (optional)
- In a large skillet lightly coated with cooking spray, add garlic and onion and cook until fragrant. Add 1/4 cup chicken broth. Add ground chicken breast and sauté until chicken is cooked through. *Add water or extra broth to prevent burning if needed*
- Add cooked chicken and remaining ingredients (see note about hot sauce) to a 6-qt slow cooker and stir. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
*Note: add hot sauce in small amounts at a time until desired heat is reached.