Serving Size: 1 sandwich with bun and slaw
Calories: 290 • Total Fat: 7g • Total Carbohydrate: 35g (Fiber: 6g • Sugars: 10g) • Protein: 27g • Vitamin A (6%) • Vitamin C (8%) • Iron (4%)
High Protein • High Fiber • Low Fat • Dairy-Free • Rich in Good Fats
*For a lower carb version serve chicken and slaw in lettuce wraps.
These sandwiches are an excellent balance of protein, carbohydrates, and fat to keep your blood sugar stable.
Dysphagia Level 2 – Ground/Mech Soft – chop chicken after shredding and omit slaw and bun
Dysphagia Level 3 – Soft – omit slaw and serve with soft bread (no crust)
Pulled BBQ Chicken Sammies with Pineapple Slaw
- 1 pound of chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce (low sugar variety such as Stubb’s Original)
- Mesquite dry seasoning (such as McCormick’s)*
- 4 thin sandwich buns (100% whole grain, about 100 calories each)
*Note: If you don’t have mesquite seasoning use a mixture of chili powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder and onion powder
- 1/2 head red cabbage, shredded
- 3 tbsp fresh pineapple with juice, diced
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Liberally season chicken with mesquite seasoning. Place in baking dish and bake until cooked through, about 25 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare slaw. Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix until evenly coated. Place in refrigerator for 20-30 minutes to allow flavors to marinade.
- When chicken is cooked through, shred with two forks, add barbecue sauce, and mix evenly.
- Serve chicken on sandwich thins and top with pineapple slaw.