Serving Size: about 2-3 lettuce wraps
Calories: 157 • Total Fat: 5g • Total Carbohydrate: 11g (Fiber: 4g • Sugars: 3g) • Protein: 15g • Vitamin C (65%) • Folate (12%)
High Protein • High “Good” Fats • High Fiber • Low Sugar • Gluten-Free • Dairy-Free • Paleo • Good for Immunity
These lettuce recipes are an excellent balance of protein and fat. They have a moderate amount of carbohydrates so serve them with 1/2 a serving of grains or fruit to keep your meal balanced and to stabilize your blood sugar.
Dysphagia Level 2 – Ground/Mech Soft – omit water chestnuts and serve as is without lettuce cups
Dysphagia Level 3 – Soft – serve as is without lettuce cups
Asian Turkey lettuce wraps
- ½ lb lean ground turkey, all white meat (99% fat free)
- ½ medium head cauliflower, grated
- 1 cup Asian style frozen vegetables, slightly thawed
- ¼ yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts
- ½ cup vegetable broth, low sodium
- 1 head iceberg or Bibb lettuce, leaves separated
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce, low sodium (or coconut aminos for soy-free version)
- 2 teaspoons natural peanut butter (or nut butter)
- 1 ½ teaspoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable broth, low sodium
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Combine sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Place vegetables, onion, ginger, garlic, and water chestnuts into a food processor and chop into small pieces. Set aside.
- Add ½ cup vegetable broth to wok or skillet and place over medium-high heat. Add turkey and cook until no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add cauliflower, vegetable mixture, and sauce. Cook for an additional 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently. Note: If mixture starts to stick to pan add more vegetable broth one tablespoon at a time.
- Garnish with additional chopped water chestnuts, if desired, and serve with lettuce leaves.