Serving Size: 1 cookie
Calories: 75 • Total Fat: 2g • Total Carbohydrate: 13g (Fiber: 2g • Sugars: 7g) • Protein: 2g
Low Calorie • Low Fat • Gluten-Free • Vegan Option
These cookies are the perfect dessert to round out your meal. I love using black beans as a secret ingredients in chocolate desserts to make them gluten-free and provide a little extra protein and fiber. Since they are mostly carbohydrates, enjoy them after a dinner that is high in protein and moderate in fat.
Dysphagia Level 2 – Ground/Mech Soft – omit chocolate chips and sprinkles
Dysphagia Level 3 – Soft – cook according to recipe
Double chocolate fudge brownie cookies
- 1 cup black beans, canned (no sodium or low-sodium)
- 1 tbsp nut butter (almond or peanut)
- 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp buckwheat flour (or other gluten free or whole grain flour)
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup sugar, or sugar substitute
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup mini dark chocolate chips (look for dairy-free variety if needed)
- sprinkles, optional
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Rinse and drain black beans and place in a food processor with nut butter, applesauce, milk, and vanilla. Blend until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, sugar, cinnamon, and baking powder. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix together until a dough forms. Fold in chocolate chips and sprinkles.
- Using a small cookie scoop, scoop cookies on a greased baking sheet and slightly press down with your fingers so they are disc shaped. Bake for 15 minutes, remove from oven, and allow to cool.